We’re starting 2018 with a bang with a competition to celebrate 50 years since the recording of Lightin’ Hopkins ‘Free Form Patterns’ courtesy if our friends at Charly Records.
Recorded in January 1968, Free Form Patterns stands out in Hopkins’ discography due to the unusual line-up on the sessions, with the veteran bluesman – fuelled by homemade moonshine – supported by a young, hip rhythm section, comprising Danny Thomas and Duke Davis from The 13th Floor Elevators (both high on acid at the time).
Free Form Patterns is no failed hippy/blues hybrid, however, just a straightforward, honest blues album with the great man backed by fans, who happened to be members of a legendary Psychedelic band. Its significance lies in how the music cut across the generation and racial boundaries within the segregated and repressive atmosphere of late 1960s Texas.
A fascinating and unique insight into Lightnin’ Hopkins, the man and the musician.
To enter the competition all you have to do is follow Classic Album Sundays on Twitter and tweet:
I want to win a vinyl of Lightin’ Hopkins ‘Freeform Patterns’ courtesy of @CharlyRecs @ClassicAlbumSun http://bit.ly/2CzWTKu
Terms and conditions below:
1.This competition is open to fans following Classic Album Sundays aged 21 years or over.
2. Employees of Classic Album Sundays or persons in any with involved in the development, production, or distribution of this competition, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, children) and household members of each such employee, are not eligible to participate in the Promotion.
3. To enter, entrants need to Tweet: I want to win a vinyl of Lightin’ Hopkins ‘Freeform Patterns’ courtesy of @CharlyRecs @ClassicAlbumSun
4. This competition will commence at 12.30pm (GMT) 4th January 2018. The cut off time for entries will be 11:59pm on Wednesday 10th January 2018. Winners will be notified by 13:00pm on Thursday 11th January 2018.
5. CAS accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the CAS by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid.
6. Entrants may submit as many entries as they wish but no entrant may win more than one prize.
7. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible.
8. There will be one winner who will win a vinyl copy of Lightin’ Hopkins ‘Free Form Patterns’.
9. No entrant may win more than one prize.
10. The Promoter’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
11. The prizes are non-transferrable and no cash alternative will be offered.
12. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, CAS reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
13. The winner will be notified by 13:00pm on Thursday 11th January 2018. The winner must claim their prize within 24 hours of the CAS sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and CAS reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
14. By entering the competition one agrees to the above terms and conditions.
Posted on: January 4, 2018